View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
jacklin
FitDay Member

Default Today has been a wake up call! Once again....

Thanks Lisa and Mary for your positive posts! You are right Mary! You can do anything for 15 minutes! I keep telling myself, just one day at a time....next thing you know, we'll be there! FYI, I checked out that website you mentioned and I'm hooked! I love it! Anything about organization and I'm all about it! I started really reading it the other day and I love the monthly plans. I'm really going to start doing those so I can stay better organized with my house. It's really an inspiring, feel good site. Thanks for recommending it!

Lisa, I can so relate to you about what you mentioned about watching your mom dying a slow death... My father has always been overweight and what is sad is that I can remember resenting him when I was little because I wanted him to play with me but he was too tired. (FYI....in no way am I saying you are like this!! This was just my way of dealing with it, right or wrong) When I was older and knew he had been diagnosed with diabetes and saw him eating powdered doughnuts, I would become angry because I knew that he knew better and he was essentially killing himself!! I promised myself I would never become that person.....but I did. It's sad how our environment really can influence us BUT we DO have the power to change that which is what I'm desperately working on now. As I've gotten older, I'm accepting of his lifestyle now but somehow, the anger became more centered at myself at one point...like a self hatred. I'm finding through this process, that I'm slowing finding my way back to some self acceptance as I try to find ways to like/love myself again. Blaming myself or my dad for where I was didn't really get me anywhere....only madder and fatter.

On a serious note, for those of you that are reading my posts....If I can give you one bit of motivation I hope to do it today, right now. I've had 2 more wake up calls within the last 24 hours. My first wake up call was back in June/July when I started this journey and realized that I was really on the verge of putting myself at risk. It wasn't about being pretty or skinny anymore.....it was about being ALIVE for my daughter and husband. I took the news from my doctor to heart and have worked daily to make changes since then. Not everyday has been perfect but I have made slow improvements. I can fit in clothes now that I couldn't before, I can walk up a flight of stairs without being winded...I can play with my daughter without being exhausted...the list goes on. This is what is important to me...This is what is living to me.

Yesterday, I was speaking to a coworker. I was asking her about a phone message that she left for me last Friday...something about needing information about a doctor. She explained, one of the ladies that we work with, that I don't see on a daily basis, I had been encouraging to see my doctor. She too, has high blood pressure. She's a little older than me, and her blood pressure has been higher than mine at times. I told her everything that I had read about the dangers of it and how my doctor had helped me. She told me she was going to make an appointment. I saw her a few weeks later, and she still hadn't made the appointment. I found out last week that she had suffered a stroke. It was described as a mini-stroke and they believe she'll be okay but she was calling to get my doctors name once again. She spent a few days in the hospital so I'm not sure if she'll see him or not.

Today, another friend of mine, a couple of years older suffered a heart attack. As of now, he is okay but still waiting on test results.

THIS is our wake up call. THIS is why we get up early and get on the treadmill, swim in the pool, run laps, etc. THIS is why we choose the healthy food option versus the high fat/high cholesterol that sure tastes good but you'll pay for it later. THIS is why we are here reading these posts.

WE CAN DO THIS. ONE DAY AT A TIME. Life is too short. We need to cherish it and take care of our bodies for the long haul. There is no rewind button in life. Take care.
7/30/13 225.8
8/20/13 216.2
8/26/13 213.8
10/2/13 203
10/28/13 194.6
11/15/13 189.8
12/5/13 182
12/20/13 178.4
1/17/14 168
2/25/14 154.2
4/18/14 146.4
6/1/14 135

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

I will rise from this defeat and claw my way back.

You don't have to be great to start. You have to start to be great.
jacklin is offline   Reply With Quote