I Gained Three Pounds after starting a great workout Routine

Community
Notices

I Gained Three Pounds after starting a great workout Routine

Old 10-10-2013, 05:41 PM
FitDay Member

Default I Gained Three Pounds after starting a great workout Routine

Guys help!
I started a new workout routine after being in a really bad funk. I've lost 65 pounds so far and I need to lose 56 more to be at my goal weight of 140. I'm combining 4 30 day challenges that focus on squats, push ups, abs, and legs. I'm also walking a ton, but I'm gaining weight?! I feel so discouraged and gross, I haven't gained weight in quite awhile. What is going on?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! It sounds frustrating what you're going through. The weight gain can be caused by various things--maybe you're building muscle (which weighs more than fat), maybe you've hit a workout plateau, it could be water, or you're eating more because you are exercising.

If it's only a few pounds, don't panic, as long as your noticing that your muscles are changing. Muscles weigh more, but they also help you burn calories because it's harder for the body to maintain muscle. How is your diet? If you're limiting the refined carbs or sugars and adding more fiber (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.) into your diet, then don't worry if you're hungrier, because it's your body's way of compensating for the exercise.

If the weight gain comes from hitting a plateau, you can try and spruce up your cardio routine by adding intervals. During your walking sessions, have a few 1-minute intervals where you run, jump, or squat as quickly as you can (be careful with your knees during the squats). The point of intervals is to get you out of your comfort zone, and it is effective and you may find that you will begin to lose weight. Also, it's a nice supplement to your 30-day challenge.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Is your diet staying the same?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Muscle

REMEMBER THIS:
Muscle weighs more then fat, so you could be changing your BMI but not loose weight or even gain weight.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 AM
FitDay Member

When you start a new routine that is going to really work your muscles more than what you have been doing especially with strength training it is very common to gain a few pounds at first. Your muscles because of the workout you will develop tiny tears and try to repair itself by rebuilding and develop edema and swelling. Once your body does repair itself and it might take a few days or a week or more especially with weight lifting you will notice the pounds will drop one day by 5 lbs or more. So just hang in there, taking ibuprofen might help with the inflammation and the weight gain a little but your muscles will rebuild itself and be better and stronger.