Frustrated! (And new here) >

Frustrated! (And new here)

Community
Notices

Frustrated! (And new here)

Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default Frustrated! (And new here)

Hello! I'm new here and have only started using FitDay about two weeks ago. I'm a marathon runner who had a reconstructive knee surgery in early May. In that time, I gained almost 25 lbs of fat, lost most of the muscle tone in my body and the leg of the knee I had surgery on was totally atrophied. I'm not a stick thin marathoner to begin with (I wish) so the extra weight has got me really down. I'm completely frustrated by all of it as I'm still unable to run, and have only recently learned to walk again. I have physical therapy twice a week and go to the gym nearly every day to ride a bike/elliptical. I'm doing what I can to get back to the active lifestyle I used to have but swelling and pain limit the intensity of what I can do.

I'm finding FitDay to be extremely helpful in showing me what I actually eat everyday and helping me cut out the things I REALLY shouldn't be having (too much alcohol, loads of cheese, too much bread, late night snacks, etc).
Does anyone here have any advice for a frustrated athlete and has anyone here had a similar situation?

Nice to meet y'all and thanks for your help!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome! And about your knee - OUCH!

Maybe you can fill in the gap some more if you can exercise (with weights, maybe) from a seated position. There are some DVDs out there for that.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by runncrcls
Hello! I'm new here and have only started using FitDay about two weeks ago. I'm a marathon runner who had a reconstructive knee surgery in early May. In that time, I gained almost 25 lbs of fat, lost most of the muscle tone in my body and the leg of the knee I had surgery on was totally atrophied. I'm not a stick thin marathoner to begin with (I wish) so the extra weight has got me really down. I'm completely frustrated by all of it as I'm still unable to run, and have only recently learned to walk again. I have physical therapy twice a week and go to the gym nearly every day to ride a bike/elliptical. I'm doing what I can to get back to the active lifestyle I used to have but swelling and pain limit the intensity of what I can do.

I'm finding FitDay to be extremely helpful in showing me what I actually eat everyday and helping me cut out the things I REALLY shouldn't be having (too much alcohol, loads of cheese, too much bread, late night snacks, etc).
Does anyone here have any advice for a frustrated athlete and has anyone here had a similar situation?

Nice to meet y'all and thanks for your help!
----------------------------
I can really relate! After 10+ years from age 50-60 of cycling, and the last 4 of running, I decided in 2012 to climb mountains again! My 30yo son invited me and starting in spring I hit the steep trails to build up for our trip in August. I really thought I was doing everything right, and I was as far as building up gradually goes.

What I was NOT doing and HAD NOT been doing for the past 3 YEARS was enough stretching and strength training, and I had let my weight creep up by about 10 lbs. Got hooked on sweets again and told myself it was okay since I cycle, run and hike. The result was a lot of pain (after I stopped taking naproxen every day!) in my right knee -- my very first sports injury.

What a comeuppance! I have been rehabbing with PT and chiropractic for over a year now. It. is. such. a. slow. process. to. make. such. a. small amount of progress - or so it seems to me! Patience is a byproduct of hanging in and persevering... at least I hope.

I came on fitday a few months ago to get rid of the 10 lbs that accumulated in the past year AND the 10 that had crept on for the 3 years prior. I have lost 8, but bounced back up after a trip at the end of Sept and a bout of company in Oct.

I find that dieting is alot like the rehab exercise thing, gotta just do it and stick with it. The results will be worth it! When I am tempted to indulge in foods or skip a workout, it is because these seem to be treats or breaks that I deserve. But I deserve to be healthy and feel GOOD, so I try to remember that sweets and sloth won't get me ready for 2014 cycling, running and climbing season!

Good luck to you and welcome to fitday!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Encourage

I sympathize with you I had shoulder surgery a couple years ago - I am as fully recovered now as possible with just minor loss of stretching - I am starting Yoga and getting a little better with it. I watched the people with painful knee surgery in there recovery and it seemed so much harder then I had. I feel down the stairs in Oct and injured my knee which still hurts.

I know we can both do it, I hope you hang in there. I am new as well.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the nice thread. keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Sometime we ignore this sort of things and also suffer a lot as well .Thanks you for the tips.

Urban Outfitters Opening Times

Last edited by princeboy; 11-25-2015 at 10:32 PM.