Notices

Clean eating anyone?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Clean eating anyone?

There are a ton of diets I have never heard on here, but anyone doing Tosca Reno's eating clean? I have been on so many diets and needed to lose 125 pounds. I am a nurse so it was important for it to be sound, healthy for the body and hopefully lose a few pounds. I have been on ww, nutrisystem, jenny craig and many many others. This is working for me! Omg I feel so awesome. I am in my ninth week of this life style change and granted I do still count calories I keep them 1300-1600 and go to the gym and exercise in some form 4-5 times a week but I have lost 29 pounds! I am looking for other clean eaters to discuss the diet recipes ect.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rnjane
I have been on so many diets and needed to lose 125 pounds....I am in my ninth week of this life style change and granted I do still count calories I keep them 1300-1600 and go to the gym and exercise in some form 4-5 times a week but I have lost 29 pounds!
Hey rnjane. I was just reading your post and I haven't tried this diet, but I am concerned. 1300-1600 calories is very, very low (especially 1300)!

Please consider calculating your BMR and making sure you're not under it --likely, given that you're exercising hard--you should be higher than your BMR by quite a bit to keep from loosing muscle mass instead of fat, too).

Let me explain with an example. Let's pretend that a woman, I'll call her Eve, is 35 year old, 5'0 and 250 lbs and dieting. Eve chose to eat 1600 calories. But her BMR is about 1860 calories. In other words, the amount of calories that Eve needs when at complete rest (like in a comma) is 1860. If Eve ate less than 1860 her body would begin believing that she is starving and attempt to hold onto fat. Eve would likely run into problems with binge eating (her body senses she's starving and causes her to strongly crave things). If she somehow successfully doesn't give into binges, she will almost certainly plateau in her weight loss.

Eve drops more calories to 1400/day (a poor way to deal with a plateau because it makes the body even more convinced it's starving) but she drops more weight. Let's say that after several plateaus Eve is eating 1100 calories and successfully hit a goal of 150 lbs. She's lost 100 but paid a big price. Her body is primed and ready to regain weight. She's lost the weight far too quickly and so she's lost muscle mass (which is bad for metabolism). Now she eats something outside of her strict diet (she's at her goal weight, after all) and begins to gain weight--and quickly! Very likely she will quickly regain her previous weight and even pass it. This is the path of a yo-yo diet and it is most likely to happen if one eats too few calories while dieting. One's BMR is the very bottom level that one can eat below safely. (And I would argue that it's almost always too low as well).

1600 calories is the BMR of a 35 year-old woman who is 3'8 and 205 lbs. If you are taller and/or heavier than this (or younger, because younger people tend to have more muscle mass), please look into eating more. Consider figuring out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight including all the exercise you do and aim for 200-300 calories below this each day.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to your goal.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

Never heard of this one. Just now! Anyway, I think it is working for you, I was thinking if it will work for me too. Do you have some resources you can share to us about Tosca Reno? Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

Bishop I am going to give you the basics. Tosca Reno has several books on this. It has been around for many years originally created for body builders by her husband back in the 80's The late Jack kennedy world champion body builder. At first when I started I was skeptical but I tweaked it alittle to fit my lifestyle.
To give you an update. I have done this for almost 5 months and have lost 53 pounds. I am losing about 1.5 to two pounds a week. I also with exercise 3 x week I have love over 38 inches. Yep 38 inches on my chest/waist/hips/thigh/arm.

They boast that Good body physical condition is 90 % nutrition and 10% exercise.

I have never felt better in my life. I am running 5 miles a day and just entered for my first 5 k.

• Eat 5-6 small meals, everyday
• Eat every 2-3 hours
• Combine lean protein & complex carbs at every meal
• Drink at least 8 cups of water, everyday
• Never miss a meal, especially breakfast. Eat breakfast within a hour of waking
• Avoid all over-processed foods, especially white flour and white sugar
• Avoid saturated and trans fats
• Avoid sugar-loaded colas and juices
• Consume adequate healthy fats (EFAs) everyday
• Avoid alcohol
• Avoid calorie dense foods that contain little nutritional value
• Depend on fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins and enzymes
• Stick to proper portion sizing

There are three phases or coolers as they call them.

Cooler 1- for 2 weeks you eat no dairy and follow the rules above.
Cooler 2 This is considered the basic phase til maintenance. Follow the rules above.
They say you don't have to count calories but I do. I keep mine between 1200 and 1500 calories. I also have a fit bit.

If you are interested here are some blogs dedicated to clean eating. Awesome recipes!

Links removed

Melodie

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-16-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Please read the Forum posting rules
Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

excellent replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These folks have it dead on. If EVERYONE listened to this and did it, there would be no over weight people, period.

Under eating and so called diets are a waste of time. Find your macro needs, lift, and lots of rest...... and your life will change. 100% guaranteed !!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

My links got removed for some reason for recipes. If any one wants the blog addresses please message me and I will send them to you.