Notices

humbug Back soreness

Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb humbug Back soreness

I've been running for about 2 months, I'm 35, 5'8 190 lbs so I'm a bit overweight. On Monday I run nice and slow for 60 mins straight <close to 5 miles> and rest on Tues. Weds i run a little faster and do 30 mins, then rest Thursday. Friday I do another faster 30 mins & take the weekend off,

My breathing and heart rate are fine for the distance, my legs are fine, <i do the 3 main stretches after a brisk 10 min walk b4 i run> (Hamstrings, Quads, Calves, 3 reps 45 sec per leg)

The problem now is that after running my lower back is very sore later on that day and even into the next. I know i have a little gut on me lol and I'v'e studied my posture <straight back while leaning a bit forward while relaxing core>.

Are there back stretches or exercises to help with my lower back problem i never had any injuries in the past or any problems at all, but as i said since iv'e been doing longer distance this seems to be my only problem and concern. Be great to hear some suggestions! thanks!

Nate
Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Xoremus
I've been running for about 2 months, I'm 35, 5'8 190 lbs so I'm a bit overweight. On Monday I run nice and slow for 60 mins straight <close to 5 miles> and rest on Tues. Weds i run a little faster and do 30 mins, then rest Thursday. Friday I do another faster 30 mins & take the weekend off,

My breathing and heart rate are fine for the distance, my legs are fine, <i do the 3 main stretches after a brisk 10 min walk b4 i run> (Hamstrings, Quads, Calves, 3 reps 45 sec per leg)

The problem now is that after running my lower back is very sore later on that day and even into the next. I know i have a little gut on me lol and I'v'e studied my posture <straight back while leaning a bit forward while relaxing core>.

Are there back stretches or exercises to help with my lower back problem i never had any injuries in the past or any problems at all, but as i said since iv'e been doing longer distance this seems to be my only problem and concern. Be great to hear some suggestions! thanks!

Nate
If you in fact don't have a back injury it sounds like the pounding from running may be bothering it. I'd look to see if your running style or shoes are an issue. As far as back issues, I have a lower back injury and riding my sport bike helps a lot. With that being said, I'd say that pulling your knees to your chest (while laying on your back) may simulate the stretch I get on my bike.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks 01gt4.6 for the stretching tip ill try that out and see if it helps me. Today was not so bad after i ran. I'm thinking maybe my core is a little weak for the distance im trying to do. Since i just started i didnt go to a professional running shoe store to buy my sneaks and i read about all the different kinds of landings and and liftoffs diff people have. I do have a pair of good shock absorbing running shoes for a flat step as i have. I could do better and will as soon as i can. Thx for the input
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Xoremus
Thanks 01gt4.6 for the stretching tip ill try that out and see if it helps me. Today was not so bad after i ran. I'm thinking maybe my core is a little weak for the distance im trying to do. Since i just started i didnt go to a professional running shoe store to buy my sneaks and i read about all the different kinds of landings and and liftoffs diff people have. I do have a pair of good shock absorbing running shoes for a flat step as i have. I could do better and will as soon as i can. Thx for the input
No problem. Have you tried anything like Aleve? That also seems to help me, if you don't mind medications.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

I'd get your pelvic alignment checked. If your hamstrings are tight you may have decreased curvature in your lower back. Causing it to get sore. The stretching you are doing may not be enough, are your hamstrings tight? I am just a bit skeptical about the sneakers. When I run with my "old sneakers" it bothers my knees not my back.

I have extremely tight quads, I have for years from martial arts. That also never has bothered my back.