Notices

Help in saying no to food

Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default Help in saying no to food

I am well aware that I may sound crazy, but I feel I keep getting myself in the same situations that are not serving me and I don't know how to change them. Right now, my diet is wacky because I am pregnant. I have been gaining a lot of excess weight due to feeling the need to eat in social situations when I don't actually want to. It is making me feel sick, upset and not good about myself. It ruins my mood, energy, and the way I feel about myself. I constantly get put into situations where I don't want to order or eat certain foods, but don't know how to say that without being an annoying friend or guest. But, i feel awful afterwards. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, any advice? I have a problem asserting myself in general, but this is really bad.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

The answer is portion control. But - since you are pregnant - really look at what you are eating. And ask your doctor what would be the caloric limit for you while you are pregnant. Tell him or her to be very specific with the range of calories.

When I was pregnant, I took a multivitamin for the pregnant woman, so I'm sure you must have had that recommendation. However, it's important to get enough calories also. Pregnancy is not the time to diet. You will be gaining weight, which tends to freak some women out anyway. But the person most important here is your unborn child. Balance, vitamins and minerals, some exercise and getting plenty of calories are important for your baby's health.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mishashiv
I am well aware that I may sound crazy, but I feel I keep getting myself in the same situations that are not serving me and I don't know how to change them. Right now, my diet is wacky because I am pregnant. I have been gaining a lot of excess weight due to feeling the need to eat in social situations when I don't actually want to. It is making me feel sick, upset and not good about myself. It ruins my mood, energy, and the way I feel about myself. I constantly get put into situations where I don't want to order or eat certain foods, but don't know how to say that without being an annoying friend or guest. But, i feel awful afterwards. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, any advice? I have a problem asserting myself in general, but this is really bad.
You don't really need to eat extra during your first trimester and should only be eating about 300 extra cals during the rest of your pregnancy if you are within a healthy weight range.

If you are over or under weight your doctor will recommend how many cals you need to have each day.

The "I'm eating for two" way of thinking can too easily be used as an excuse to justify overeating.

Maybe think about how you want to be healthy and active for your child, when tempted by food that you don't need. I also wouldn't worry about what your friends think if you politely decline food. You are the one that is pregnant and trying to stay healthy for your baby.

If they are annoyed that you turned some food down so what, that is their problem not yours.