View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mern
FitDay Member

Libby, thanks for the shout out which I just now read. I had every intention of being one of the weekend warriors, but didn't make it due to family stuff going on--nothing bad or sad--just busy. I spent a good part of yesterday visiting, too, and didn't even think about logging on.

Donna, I am totally with you on avoiding the statin medication. I know I've posted this to you several times before, but it may be news to the newbies here: it wasn't a pretty site watching my mother die of dementia after taking statin meds for 12 years. Even despite that, I do not understand why anyone would accept the other serious admitted risks of statins. I don't put any meds in my mouth for which I have not first learned the possible side effects and decided whether I was willing to accept those risks. We are the masters of our bodies--doctors aren't. It also was not fun that my mother did not know any of her family, including her children--cognitive disorders can be the epitome of loneliness as well. There are doctors like mine who are willing to help their patients help themselves.

Robin, thanks for starting us off. "no sense in dealing with his diet." Yeah, my Mom took statins for 12 years and in her dementia, she had "no sense." Now two sisters-in-law of mine also have been on statins for many years and even with their severe memory loss, their docs still keep prescribing statins for them and their kids don't protest. Some people think of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia as "memory problems"--yeah, and they are also terminal brain diseases. I'd rather die of a heart attack tomorrow than to die from dementia or spend the rest of my life with any cognitive disorder. Seriously, my mother may not have known she had a cognitive disorder, but for two years she screamed daily in paranoia, afraid the health care providers and other patients at the nursing home were trying to kill her. Sometimes TMI is a necessary evil for letting others know to take their risks more seriously. On a happier note, when my diet, exercise, and fish oil capsules didn't quite take me to normal blood cholesterol, my doc suggested I consider adding over-the-counter red yeast rice, and that did the trick. Caution to readers of this post, though: do not take red yeast rice without your doc's knowledge and blessing. Your doc needs to figure the correct dosage for your condition and blood test results.

Hope, so good to see you here! I so admire your courage--I know you're struggling to keep your head above water. I saw you made another post today. I have to make a school run to pick up my granddaughter, but will catch up with you later.

Kocia! Yikes--so sorry 'bout your fall and your wound all the way to the bone!

Nyda, it's nice to have a new month and a new set of goals. I will do the vid in my living room today, too. Good job on getting in your exercise. My calorie range is 1200-1600 per day. If I eat below 1200 I get ravenously hungry and eat stuff I shouldn't.

Mel-Mc, I was thinking of yesterday as Sunday and today as Monday even though I'm not drunk or demented. Best wishes on your nice simple goals.
Weight 6/25/2014 233 that obviously included a lot of water retention
Weight 8/13/2014 224.2 with an eye on "Onederland"

Last edited by Mern; 09-03-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Mern is offline   Reply With Quote