View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
digitalsteel
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy13118 View Post
I don't like the idea of demonizing - or promoting - any kinds of fats. I have been avoiding saturated fats in my diet for quite a while, and only see improvements in my blood chemistry results. However, that doesn't mean I don't get saturated fat in my diet anyway. There's so much saturated fat in foods that it has made me eat more vegetables and fruits, to the point of being 'almost vegetarian.'

Fitday is one website that shows this very clearly. If you don't add any fats (oil, butter, etc.) to your foods, you will still see a lot of fat in your diet. Less than before, for sure, but a surprising lot of fat! Especially meats. Even a skinless, boneless chicken breast, poached with no fat, has fat!

So, fussing about good vs bad fat is kind of a waste of time, IMO. It's extremely hard to control the type of fat you eat. You can try to avoid certain fats, but good luck with it.
Unfortunately this misconception the general public has on fat is the driving force behind most nutrition based problems. This is exacerbated by what is pushed in the media and taught to our doctors. Not all fat is the same, drastically so. You can very easily keep the good fat to bad fat ratio at reasonable levels, it is simply the lack of knowing what is truly good or bad about various fat that impedes us.
digitalsteel is offline   Reply With Quote