Notices

Shape up shoes

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Shape up shoes

anyone tried these? I just got a pair. So far, I do feel it a bit in my calves and back. Anyone wear them regularly for a long time? I definitely don't think it should be the only source of exercise- I'm still sticking with conditioning, but i'm thinking of wearing these at work to burn some extra cals and tone a bit more.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

I don't have them personally but my dad and step-mom both have a pair. My step-mother told me that you are only supposed to wear them for 25-30 mins at a time until you get used to them... that's what she did and she said she was a little sore but my dad wore them to work, he has a very active job, and she said that when he got home from work that he took them off and had to lie down, she said that he was so sore from wearing them all day that he could barely move.

I don't know how long you've had yours or how long of periods of time you've been wearing them (did that make sense?) but if you wear them to work and you have a job where you have to do a lot of walking then you may want to take an extra pair of shoes with you, just in case.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

I wore them today at work (i did bring some flats, just in case, but didn't need them I have a desk job with a little activity while running errands. I did end up walking for about an hour today because the boston marathon closed my stop on the t ). I'm a bit sore, but I think that's mainly from my conditioning this morning. I did read about the 25-30 minute build-up in the instructional packet they came with, which I did the first two days. I feel it quite a bit in my lower back which is great, because I really need to strengthen that area- i pull a muscle there every couple of years it seems.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
FitDay Member

My friend has a pair and she LOVES them. They totally helped her, she has a desk job and wears them every other day - she has definition in her thighs and calves which is a new thing for her.

I've had a pair since the beginning of March and I need a new pair already. They don't hold up very well to people who walk a lot. (I have dogs + college student = walk at least 3 hours a day). They have NO tread left on them - sadly

I think Lunges/squats/glute raises are all superior on just about every level. I don't think there is a shortcut for a great butt...unfortunately

Considering the price? They aren't worth it at all. Thats my opinion.

I must say....They are comfortable!!

Last edited by lexose; 04-26-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Duh...
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

I like them so far. I do agree with you that there is not substitution for lunges and squats- never thought they were. I'm hoping these'll put some definition in my calves, as nothing else has so far...
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

How exactly do they work for those who have tried them? I've seen the commercials and from looking at them, they seem to make you have to roll your foot forward to walk which would work the calf and other muscles. Do they mess up your stride or step when you take them off and put regular shoes on? The one thing that I'm skeptical about is if you change your stride or the way you walk, you usually get sore in places you never got sore from before. For instance, if you sprain your ankle or pull a muscle and limp because of it, not only will your ankle be sore but you'll probably make another part of your lef sore too because of the way you've adjusted your walk to compensate for the injury.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

I think I'm with Vega on them. I'm worried they'll mess up my gait or something and they get their "toning" action from artificially altering your natural gait — which might cause weird joint degradation if you wear them regularly. IMHO if you want calves do calf raises. If they aren't working for you it's time to add some weight, but I don't think it's worth messing up the way we were naturally built to walk.

-Nik
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
I think I'm with Vega on them. I'm worried they'll mess up my gait or something and they get their "toning" action from artificially altering your natural gait — which might cause weird joint degradation if you wear them regularly. IMHO if you want calves do calf raises. If they aren't working for you it's time to add some weight, but I don't think it's worth messing up the way we were naturally built to walk.

-Nik
I'm coming to the conclusion that they weren't worth the money. However, I think they made my gait much more natural. My back and hips aren't so stiff. It basically teaches you HOW to walk more naturally. Many people don't walk properly. It also has given me much better posture and has strengthened my low back. So, it wasn't a complete waste, and I'm still wearing them, so hopefully I'll still see some progress.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

I have a pair of the shape ups. I read and understood that you are to only wear the shoes for about 30 mins. for 2 wks until you get use to them. However, after about a week I felt really comfortable in wearing them that I began wearing them all the time, trying to become more active. That was short lived. I had to see my doctor because my back hurt soooo bad. It was because of the shoes. Now if I put them on I only wear them for a short period of time, then take them off. So if someone is interesting in purchasing this shoes, don't do like me. (LOL) Read and follow the directions fully.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

I've actually gone the other way and invested in a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. They simulate being barefoot while still reinforcing and protecting the foot from sharp rocks and bug splatters, and you retain mobility in all five toes instead of being completely "locked in."

They take a while to get used to (blisters are common) and they feel weird at first since they hug every surface of your foot, but for me they were worth it. Since I've started wearing them my knees and hips have gotten tougher and I no longer get as much pain after working out. I'd say they're probably worthwhile for back troubles too. In any case, worth checking out.

-Nik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.