Motivational starting 8/19/13; OK let's get this party started

Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:

1. Under 2k calories per day
Average of 1648
2. Exercise 3 times
Only twice

I too will have an easier week next week, hopefully we can do better than this week. Veg challenge accepted (well maybe, when I know what it is)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds good Robin! I weighed myself this morning and I'm the same
I'm ok with fruit. I have to stay away from peaches (a lot of sugar) and I can only have half an apple.

I finished cutting the grass and pulled weeds out of the driveway (25min?) I try not to do it on Sun but it's going to be very hot next week.

Jenn
Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Give us details on the fruit and vegie challenge. I am interested.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 AM
FitDay Member

Afternoon all. Iam feeling a lot bettter then friday. Just have the normal headache today. Seldom have a day that does not have a bit of a headache.
I am up to the veg challenge, but like Ian have to know what it is first.
Sunday is my weigh in day. I was down 1.5 pound this morning. What is really helping me is the support I have found here and having to post every thing I eat. Had about 8 cherry tomatoes I had just picked this morning for a snack. I had a peach turnover for breakfast. I put it in the log and the amazing thing is that was full. I have not been hungry and looking for more.
Libby the ice cream bars are spendy but one in a while worth it. they are 240 calories. I have found that icecream once a week is nice.
Jenn I hear you about the heat. It has been bad this summer here as well. I really like apples. I found a apple corer at a yard sell. IKt makes eating an apple more often a deffinate thing.
Hope eveyone is having a good weekend
Old 08-25-2013, 09:04 AM
FitDay Member

Well fellow competitors I guess we could do it a lot of ways. The "health" info I read says that it is healthy to have 9 servings of fruit and veg per day! I know that if we did that weight loss would not be an issue. My challenge is preparing and planning..........as a result of being too busy I was eating way too much take out. It is a challenge to home prep everything!

Ohh the apples, our local ones will be ready soon! Otherwise they are shipped from far away, covered with wax to look good and horrible inside. I can't wait for the fresh ones.

So what if we say set a goal of 50 fruit/veg in a week? And just report in daily as to how many we had. That's a lot I know. It would be really good for us. I know that the walking challenges have helped me a lot in the past. 50? more? less?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nine?

Originally Posted by Robingen
Well fellow competitors I guess we could do it a lot of ways. The "health" info I read says that it is healthy to have 9 servings of fruit and veg per day! I know that if we did that weight loss would not be an issue. My challenge is preparing and planning..........as a result of being too busy I was eating way too much take out. It is a challenge to home prep everything!
NINE servings of fruit & vegetables? I don't think I eat nine servings if I include all the foods I eat I in a day, (including any drinks with calories).
Is this from an 'everyone should be a vegetarian' health info source?

So what if we say set a goal of 50 fruit/veg in a week? And just report in daily as to how many we had. That's a lot I know. It would be really good for us. I know that the walking challenges have helped me a lot in the past. 50? more? less?
Depends what's considered a 'serving.' A quarter cup of blueberries - is that one serving or two? How much raw broccoli do they consider a 'serving?' What about spinach pasta? Does that count as a vegetable? And how about them apples? Is a whole one (with skin) one serving, or two? I often use my own measure of a portion, since I've found different sources to diverge of 'serving' size.

At least by counting fruit and vegetables you won't raise my usual conundrum of "Is it a fruit, or a vegetable?"

- Donna
Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

calories: M-938 T-922 W-998 T-838 F-866 S-946 S-802
water: Y, Y, Y, Y, Y, Y, Y
exercise: N, Y, Y, Y, N, Y, Y.

I have a problem getting enough fruits and vegetables in so I am going to try for 3 fruit and 4 veg a day which adds up to 49. Thanks Robin for the suggestion.
This is the best week I have had for calories water and exercise. I hope that the scale agrees tomorrow morning. I am going out for my evening walk. (my short walk turned out to be a nice long walk and it was dark by the time I got home)
I hope that every one had a good week.

Last edited by libby116; 08-25-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dmartz
NINE servings of fruit & vegetables? I don't think I eat nine servings if I include all the foods I eat I in a day, (including any drinks with calories).
Is this from an 'everyone should be a vegetarian' health info source?

Depends what's considered a 'serving.' A quarter cup of blueberries - is that one serving or two? How much raw broccoli do they consider a 'serving?' What about spinach pasta? Does that count as a vegetable? And how about them apples? Is a whole one (with skin) one serving, or two? I often use my own measure of a portion, since I've found different sources to diverge of 'serving' size.

At least by counting fruit and vegetables you won't raise my usual conundrum of "Is it a fruit, or a vegetable?"

- Donna
Well, Canada's Food guide says 8 (10 for men). American Heart and Stroke Foundation 9........I don't think it's only vegetarians that endorse so many! A serving is a medium size fruit or a half cup. Your questions request far more precision than I am going for, it's not like there's a cash prize or anything. Do you WANT to count spinach pasta as a veg? I wouldn't but then I am not the vegetable police. I just made this suggestion because I thought it would be healthy and fun AND help me get down that last 2 pounds.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Robingen
Well, Canada's Food guide says 8 (10 for men). American Heart and Stroke Foundation 9........I don't think it's only vegetarians that endorse so many! A serving is a medium size fruit or a half cup. Your questions request far more precision than I am going for, it's not like there's a cash prize or anything. Do you WANT to count spinach pasta as a veg? I wouldn't but then I am not the vegetable police. I just made this suggestion because I thought it would be healthy and fun AND help me get down that last 2 pounds.
Well, that's certainly interesting. I have a hard time with 3 portions of veggies, not sure of what my daily fruit intake is though. Certainly not 5 portions.

A half cup - that's not too onerous. And yes, I want to count spinach pasta as a veg., but alas, it's not.

And don't sweat those last two pounds. They'll come off. Just try not to go up. I just spent a year at my maintenance weight, (next weekend will be the 'official' anniversary) and in the last few weeks I've rather inexplicably dropped a few pounds.

Oh, & that "quarter cup" of blueberries - What ~was~ I thinking! (or typing ...)