I'm sure my sausage and peppers casserole would also work just fine as a vegetarian dish.
No real recipe, but here's what I do:
Use however much you like of each ingredient you enjoy.
--pasta (I like rotini or penne rigate, but you can use whatever you like)
--fresh green bell peppers
--fresh onion (whatever kind you like)
--tomatoes (peeled canned or peeled fresh) with juice--I use at least a 14 1/2 ounce can or two large fresh tomatoes for each 2 cups of cooked pasta
--salt or salt substitute
--dried Italian seasoning (start with a little and add more to taste)
--optional that I very rarely need: a little canned tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
--optional: grated Parmesan cheese
--optional: precooked turkey sausage that is already heated through
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute in olive oil in a preheated skillet sliced onion and green peppers until desired tenderness.
3. Add peeled tomatoes with juice and the drained, cooked pasta. Season to taste. Heat through.
(Note: I usually don't need to because DH and I don't eat it very saucy, but if the tomatoes I added don't make it saucy enough, I'd add a little canned tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce)
4. Season to taste
5. If desired, add optional sausage that is already heated through.
6. At the very end stir in optional grated Parmesan cheese.
Age 68, 5 feet tall
Highest weight ever in the fall of 2010 246 lbs.
FitDay starting weight 1/17/2011 240 lbs.
Weight 8/14/2014 lowest in a long time 224.2
Weight 9/23/2014 doctor visit 233
Easter Challenge Goal 220 Weight 1/26/15 236.8
Last edited by Mern; 08-13-2013 at 11:07 PM.