View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
sailgal1
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklin View Post
Thanks so much for the support! Episode, I do plan to keep posting. In the past, I have made so many promises to myself that I will do it THIS time, only to make an excuse for cheating on the diet and then the all or nothing personality takes over and its back to the old way. Then, it is followed by a fresh round of guilt and self loathing that leads to another round of overeating because in some sick way, in that moment, I believe that the food I'm stuffing in my face is the only thing that will make me feel better. It really has been a vicious cycle. My thinking is that if I can go public with my goals, I will hold myself more accountable.

Nottango, I will check out the other thread. I think I was looking at some of the posts yesterday as I was surfing through the site. It does look like a nice, supportive fit for me.

Yesterday was full of enlightenment. I started looking at the sodium in all of the foods I was eating and sure enough, I am on sodium overload. Even the frozen green beans that I cook (in chicken broth followed by a boullion cube) is loaded in sodium after I'm through with them. I did realize that I was adding sodium in a healthy item...I just didn't realize how much. I'm going to have to rethink the way I prepare my "healthy" foods...not just look at calories like I have in the past. I have been rereading "20 Years Younger" by Bob Green and a book on reversing diabetes for my husband's health issues since I am the cook in the family. They both encourage you to look at your eating style in the beginning by not focusing on what you can't have, but focus on what needs to be added to your diet. Also, start small to ensure you have some success. So, I have started adding some fruits and vegetables to our diet. We made some baggies this morning full of fruit. I have strawberries, apple slices, blackberries, and blueberries in the bags. Apparently the berries don't have as much sugar so its good for my husband's diabetes and low in sodium for me, plus they are full of vitamins and antioxidents. I'm still trying to get over my chest cold but we did walk last night with our daughter and pups. It was a leisurely stroll (about 3/4 of a mile) but at least we were active rather than plopped in front of the TV. As we regain control of our health, I really want to be a positive role model for our daughter. We've already decided to buy bikes when she is old enough to ride so we can all ride together!

On a good note, I was at 234.6 this morning so I'm down 1.2 pounds. It's a beginning!
Jacklin, so wonderful to hear you are taking control of your weight issues, something I have dealt with for a lifetime. I would like to add something you may like to consider since your hubs was diagnosed with type 2, if he reduces the carbs in his diet (including fruits)he will see his numbers get into range, lose weight and be healthier. I am type 2 and allow up to 30 grams of carbs per day, most days less than 20, carbs turn into glucose which increases blood sugar. I'm sure you are familiar with Atkins, Southbeach, and those diets that reduce carbs, but since it is so imperative for diabetics, you may want to visit the bloodsugar101 website for help for your husband. Everyone eating the same way in the household will be less stressful, and a journey to a healthy lifestyle.

Congratulations on your continued weight loss!
sailgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote