Notices

28 year old, type 1 diabetic, and no periods for past 4 years

Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
FitDay Member

Question 28 year old, type 1 diabetic, and no periods for past 4 years

Hi everyone. So, for the past 22 years I've been a type 1 diabetic, 4 years ago I got very sick with pancreatitus and my periods stopped. They have never come back, but I am in much much better health. I count my carbs, count my calories, am very careful to eat organic whole foods, such as greens, vegetables, berries, nuts, seeds, quinoa, lean turkey, and beans. I also use Organic 1% lactose free milk and Organic plain low fat yogurt. I only consume paleo bread, as I also have celiac and cannot eat wheat. I exercise almost everyday. My body seems to refuse weight loss. I am 5'8" and consume 1100-1400 calories per day. My calories are mainly high fiber and low glycemic.

Are there any other type 1 diabetics out there that have found the same problems and possible solutions? I'm curious to know if maybe me not having periods plays a part in my metabolism. I also carry most of my weight around my midsection. I weigh 135ish and am comfortable with how I look in the upper body and my hips/butt/legs, etc. Also wondering if midsection weight is due to no period.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Update

Want to give everyone an update: I finally got off of my plateau, and my abs are tighter. Made a few tweaks to my diet and also when and how I exercise. If anyone is interested, I would be more than happy to share.. just glad to see changes now.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

You are just 28 so it is not menopause or pregnancy since you have had this for a couple years.. You said you had diabetes for the last 22 years. When was your last gyne appointment? Please realize there are many reasons for a menstration to stop but you should talk with your family doctor and above all get to a gynecologist for a check up. I am a nurse and I recommend having your progesterone levels taken. If your progesterone is low you can have very light or absent periods. When your body stops menstruating it is a sign of stress at your age. Please get a check up.

Last edited by rnjane; 07-23-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate your suggestions, and definitely will talk to my fam dr., I have an appointment soon.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I'm type one diabetic too. Two ideas come to mind in terms of weight loss- first its possible that you are not eating enough calories and so your body is in "starvation mode" which makes losing weight impossible. I met with my endocrinologist about similar concerns and she told me about that- then sent me to a nutritionist who gave a meal plan with more snacks- I was horrified but suprisingly it jump started everything. Secondly, many diabetics are prone to having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) because its autoimmune like diabetes (and celiac) - look up the symptoms but they include being bigger around the middle and wonky periods. Anyways, good luck with everything, having diabetes doesnt make any of this easier. Hang in there.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

For about 2 years I did not have my period. They did hormone tests and found I was high in progesterone (the hormone that causes lactation) it was like my body thought I was pregnant.

It could also be ovarian cysts which are incredibly common. You may want to consider going on the pill to regulate your hormones. (But obviously talk to a gyno first)

My period did come back after I came down from 300 pounds to 285. How much that signifies I do not know.

The doctors never gave a solid answer for my lack of period.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

What stands out to me is the *4 years* you have not had your period. You had to be seeing doctors because you did have some illness. Doctors almost always - if not always - ask when your last period started. I think that they do that (when you are in a child-bearing age range) to have some insight into what they are seeing. Don't know, but it IS a standard question.

So, gynecologist aside (pap smear time, a gyno for certain asks about periods), at least one of these doctors might have hazarded a guess. They know medications, they know cycles, they know bodies! Maybe they don't know answers but they know where and how to look. So, for sure your family physician will have an opinion or send you to someone who has a better-informed opinion.

Good luck! You take good care of your health with diet and exercise (your BMI is in the normal range) so that's a huge plus.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, everyone and thanks for your replies. I did end up losing some weight, and my abs were incredibly flat!! yay, but then I started to eat cake and cookies again lol(gluten free of course), I cant help it with the holidays. I started on my diet 4 days ago and feel so much better already. If only I can hold off on the gingerbread cookies til christmas, my weakness
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

Hi! Just wanted to give you a shout out to let you know your not alone with not having periods. I'm type 2, I also carry most of my weight around my midsection my family doctor didn't seemed surprised that I didn't have periods for 5 years. She did ask if they where ever predictable. Again didn't really seems surprised when I told her not really. She never did ask when or if I've seen a O.B.G.Y.N. I never really thought any thing of not having a period every month since I new I wasn't pregnant. I just chalked it up to weight gain, and all the stress that was on going in my life. Since being on Metformin for a year I do get a very light one day period. I can go eight hours with just panty liner, with hardly any show. All this last time it was almost a bright pink I have a check up in six weeks, and I will ask getting lab drawn to see where my hormone levels are. Is progesterone also tested with this test or is it a separate test?