View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #187 (permalink)
01gt4.6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnesec View Post
You know, I've been really athletic my whole life so this has really been a learning experience for me. I've learned two things in particular... first, all nurses, as part of their training, should have to be required to stay in bed for a minimum of 24 hours and be 100% at the mercy of their caregivers just to see how awful it is... especially when they put the call button 4' out of your reach. And secondly, everyone should spend 24 hours in a wheelchair to experience what it's like. I first had to use a wheelchair after an accident on my honeymoon (don't ask... ) for 2 weeks. Even though the injury was to my legs, I was treated as though I had a brain injury. Especially waitstaff would ask my husband, "What would she like to eat today?" as if I couldn't speak or hear. It's quite eye-opening! The Rascals are a hoot though... I always wanted to try one out- I finally had an excuse!
My buddy is still in a wheelchair and may remain paralyzed for the rest of his life. It's very difficult and it gives you a new appreciation for just being able to move around and go about your business. I spent the entire day with him recently. I had to get him in and out the truck several times, wheel him around. By the time the day was up, I was EXHAUSTED. I can only imagine how hard it is for him and his wife.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote