Men and women may have more in common than most of us think.
That’s according to a study recently published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, which found that when it comes to sexual fantasies, the sexes might not be so different at all.
The study, which was conducted in Quebec, Canada, asked more than 1,500 men and women what they fantasized about in the sack. Adult participants were typically between the ages of 20 and 40, and though the sample was by no means diverse, their responses are a window into a topic that has been largely unexplored by researchers. After all, what constitutes a normal fantasy?
Participants were tasked with completing an electronic survey called the Wilson’s Sex Fantasy Questionnaire. The questionnaire asked participants to respond to 55 statements about their sexual fantasies by rating their intensity using a number scale.
Though the top 10 most popular fantasies were different for men and women, there were some surprising overlaps.
Women’s Top 10 Sexual Fantasies
1. Fantasize about having sex in a romantic location. (84.9 percent)
2. Fantasize about having sex in an unusual location. (81.7 percent)
3. Fantasize about taking part in oral sex. (78.5 percent)
4. Fantasize about performing oral sex on a man. (72.1 percent)
5. Fantasize about being masturbated by my partner. (71.4 percent)
6. Fantasize about masturbating my partner. (68.1 percent)
7. Fantasize about having sex with someone I know who is not my partner. (66.3 percent)
8. Fantasize about being dominated sexually. (64.6 percent)
9. Fantasize about having sex in a public place. (57.3 percent)
10. Fantasize about having sex with more than three people, men and women. (56.5 percent)
Men’s Top 10 Sexual Fantasies
1. Fantasize about taking part in oral sex. (87.6 percent)
2. Fantasize about having sex with two women. (84.5 percent)
3. Fantasize about having sex with someone I know who is not my partner. (83.4 percent)
4. Fantasize about having sex in an unusual place. (82.3 percent)
5. Fantasize about watching two women have sex. (82.1 percent)
6. Fantasize about ejaculating on my partner. (80.4 percent)
7. Fantasize about having sex in a romantic location. (78.4 percent)
8. Fantasize about performing oral sex on a woman. (76.4 percent)
9. Fantasize about masturbating my partner. (76.4 percent)
10. Fantasize about having sex with more than three women. (75.3 percent)
Looks Like Men Aren't The Only Ones Who Fantasize About People Other Than Their Partners
Curiously, both women and men reported fantasizing about getting it on in a romantic location, though a greater percentage of women (84.9 percent) reported this fantasy than men (78.4 percent). The same goes for fantasies that involve sex in an unusual location, with men and women nearly tied at 82.3 percent and 81.7 percent, respectively.
Taking part in oral sex was among the most common sexual fantasies for both sexes, reported by 87.6 percent of men and 78.5 percent of women.
And it looks like both men and women liked to think about having sex with someone other than their partner — specifically, someone they knew. A whopping 83.4 percent of men and 66.3 percent of women reported this fantasy. I guess if you’re both doing it, it’s not so bad after all?
[Image via Getty]